Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Revenge...right or wrong?

William Shakespeare said "If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die and if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" From that I assume the point he was trying to make is that we are only human. Lately the theme of revenge seems to be floatng through my sub-concious; not because I myself have a bone to pick with anyone...maybe just the computer honestly! But because I am watching a new series on T.v entitled revenge, my latest J.D Robb book was all about a long and drawn out revenge plot, plus I'm working on a small revenge plot for one of my new characters in the follow up to The Gift. So you kinda get why I'm a little pre-occupied about the subject. It is rather facinating the way each of us reacts differently to a situation and how given the right or wrong circumstances we may choose to succumb or hold off from the temptation of revenge; well I think it is anyway as people facinate me in general. I wonder is one sex more capable of it than the other? Or is it a personality vrs a experience arguement? Does it depend entirely on the original offence? I wonder if revenge in any form, for any reason is ok? From what I can see Biblically it doesn't look like it, Romans 12:19 "Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: It is mine to avenge: I will repay you says the Lord" , Ephesians 4:26-27 "In your anger do not sin: do not let the sun go down while you are still angry" and Psalm 37:8 "Refrain from anger and turn from wrath; do not fret-it only leads to evil" They all seem pretty decisive on the fact that vengence is Gods job not ours; check them out an see what you think. Yet we are each given the capability for such clever scheming, violence and judgement. Some may argue that in is in our very nature to seek revenge as the charactistics are all there waiting for us to find a motive, thus the statement "To ere is human to forgive divine" Can we ever come close to God's way of looking at things and forgive or is it just to be expected that eventually something will be bad enough for us to give in; cop-out or not? I am and remain intrigued, so I will continue to look into the subject and work on my characters plans. One thing I have found so far in my delving: often revenge is used no matter how it is packaged for personal gain, not so much for pay back or righting a wrong. Check out this quote "In human history, the desire for revenge and the desire for loot have often been associated" John McCarthy. I'll keep you updated! Isobial :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to ask questions or make a comment.