Sunday, November 20, 2011

Predictability ain't real life or good fiction!

Apologies people, as you can tell from the title some unexpected events have kept me from updating the blog recently; namely one laptop that first had battery failure an then just plain spazzed out. That plus the sudden demise of my contact lenses had me blind and techno-less. So in all it has been a little trying these last few days but a good reminder that life just like fiction is unpredictable and has it's high mountains mixed up with low valley's. One of the very few benefits of my week of depravity has been the chance to catch up on reading, basically with no computer or vision to speak of it was about my only option! So out came all the books I had been planning to read over the last few months but had put on the back burner. A few Diana Gabaldon ones I wanted to re-read and plenty of Nora Roberts in her other form as J.D Robb. I enjoyed them all of course as reading is pleasure in it's self but what I did start to think about is predictability. Although unlike some people I am very restrained and never jump ahead in books or read last pages, I do tend to analyze and pick the outcome or in some cases the bad guy prior to finishing which for me really ruins the book. It's not something I enjoy at all and honestly I would love to not be able to do it but in some books the predictability just flows until I reach the conclusion far before the actual book is completed. Now with all this reading done, my new contacts in place and the spare computer up and running what has been firing my writing passion is a fierce resolve not inflict the angst of predictability on my readers. So every spare minute these last few days has been fueled with 'brain planning' new twist and plot ideas for my second book, expanding and creating characters who are as diverse as reality and basically fueling the continued hunger to create something I would not only enjoy reading but also find hard to decipher before the ending. It's exciting, challenging and once again invigorating which I guess is why I love this writing thing so much! So for all you would be writers out there or just those doing the journey of life, embrace the lack of predictability in fiction and reality because the only absolutes are we were born and we will die everything else is open waiting to be written or lived!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to ask questions or make a comment.