Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Is it really all that bad?

I have noticed very recently that whining and whinging has almost become a competitive sport in conversation, usually reserved just for the Poms (I can say that cause I am one) the rest of the globe seems to have caught up. If you say you've had a bad day, theirs was worse or the drama was bigger, more involved and in all cases harder than what you have had to deal with. Even our kids have started this no my problem was worse routine with friends, entertaining for us as what parent doesn't love a good chuckle at the enormity of a tweens life dramas? But on a serious note it astounds me considering how good most of us have it that we can be so blatantly ungrateful. Now yes I am sure there is some truly horrid things happening to some people out there and no you are not to whom I am referring; I'm merely trying to point out to the majority of us who consider the small things disasters, that really we should spend a little more time putting things into perspective before we have the big melt down. One of my favourite movies has this brilliant quote from Angelica Houston "No matter how bad things get they can always get worse my dear" although very negative I have often thought of it when something crap has happened and I needed to deal with it. Lets face it whether we moan and whinge about something or not it still has to be dealt with and there may well be something even worse around the corner but it is our character and the excercise of just getting on with it that inevitably pull us through not how much we talk about it and drag ourselves down. Perspective is often the key to sucess and in our characters just like ourselves we must have a reasonable amount of perspective to realistically engage a reader in the problems and walk them through the experience from beginning to end, lets face it most stories have at least a few major problems. Shakespear was full of them! Diana Gaboldan's outlander series is riddled with drama right from the start, Stephanie Meyer's twilight series well it doesn't get much worse than falling in love with someone who wants to eat you does it?Karen Kingsbury, who always makes me cry, I could go on but I won't you get the point I'm sure. Drama and trouble engage's people's attention, thus the reason we all love to share it; but it must have an outcome or it's just annoying noise in real life and in our fiction books. Back to real life for a second I guess the point I'm trying to make is you are not the only one who has walked that walk so look around you at those who have survived, take courage from them and others who have perservered in even harder circumstances. But most importantly "carpe diem, sieze the day" life it too short to spend whinging and moaning, not living! Have a great week people! Isobial :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to ask questions or make a comment.