Tuesday, October 4, 2011

A very challenging question.....

Wow another crazy weekend over! Dinners out and birthday parties have mean't our long weekend flew leaving us with a now semi-peaceful house in much need of sorting! But before we get onto that we really wanted to write a post today discussing some interesting topic's. On Sunday our senior Pastor Peter Pilt asked "what can't you live without?" as part of his sermon. It was a very challenging service and we highly recommend you checking it out on the Nowra City Church website if you get a chance. So like most people sitting there I answered in my head. What was odd for me was the fact there wasn't much materially I couldn't imagine myself coping without if I had too; my faith and my family were the main things. Now whether this is because for six weeks at the beginning of the year we had to live without much due to our oversea's move. Definately having to evaluate everything in our house,garage, offices etc for shipping it has helped us place less value on possessions . I really did hug my washing machine when it came off the truck! I guess in truth the fact that we were all here together safe and released from a lot of stresses back in our former home it just made the lack of stuff easier to deal with. So for the last day I have been pondering Sunday's question and I have come up with another question which I think is harder to answer "what define's you?" When it comes down to it what is it that makes you the person you are? Do you change to suit your environment? From a writers perspective this is an imperitive question as we reflect so much of ourselves into what we create on the page. Not just in storyline or characterisation but in our research, ethics and storyline. When we create our characters we must have an answer for this question, they must become like real people for readers to truly engage and empathise with them. I can honestly say if I closed my eyes and pictured many of my main characters in various situations I would know what their convictions would be, their behaviour response, attitude, even the tone of their speech. In that sense if I didn't fully understand what defined them as characters how could I ever write them to their full potiential? They would be shallow concepts and unbelievable to readers as their convictions would be interchangable, with no defining elements to their personalities what so ever. So whether fictional or in reality I think "what defines you?" is a very important question. Isobial :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to ask questions or make a comment.